Monday, June 05, 2006

Hola from Guatemala!




Hola! Our team arrived safely in Guatemala Friday night after a fun, turbulent flight. We ate McDonald's for dinner, and I got to order in Spanish for the first time in my life. We're starting to get settled into the Buckner home where all of us interns will be staying for the next month, and I'm so excited to get to know all of these amazing people's hearts. Today we met the Northside Baptist Church team from Atlanta that we'll be working with for the rest of the week. It was encouraging getting to hang out and visit with them for a little while. We went with the church team to the girl's transitional home. Going there was a blessing but also overwhelming. It was such a blessing listening to the church team encourage and pray over the girls, and I loved how much joy and humility fills those girls' hearts. The girls at the transitional home gave us a tour of where they live. I felt overwhelmed because my Spanish speaking abilities are lacking, but I know that God is so much bigger than language barriers, and I can't wait to continue forming relationships with these girls. While we were there, the girls and interns played "pato, pato, gonso" (duck, duck, goose), card games, danced, talked, and laughed together. I'm so thankful that we arrived here safely and that God is already stretching us so early into the trip.

~ Holli