Monday, June 12, 2006

Hola from Guatemala! Week Two

This week has been spent in fellowship with Northside Baptist Church. We helped them with VBS and carnivals they planned for the orphanages, went with them to meet the First Lady of Guatemala, explored the city, shopped and ate meals together. It's hard to sum up this week in a few words, but the times my heart has felt most alive were definitely when we were with the orphans. I got to work with the special needs group at Manchen girls’ orphanage in Antigua for a few days, and those girls are so loving. They latch onto you as soon as you walk in the door. Giving hugs, holding hands, playing with their hair, dancing, hearing them sing, holding them when their feelings got hurt, getting to know them, laughing, and just sitting beside them are times that I will never forget. I've loved little moments: jumping around laughing so hard and yelling "pizza" with a girl named Maria as we waited for dinner (one of the few times we understood what the other was saying); when a sweet girl that can't speak named Ruth brushed my hair out of my eyes; when a tough girl named Elena smiled while I scratched her back and then started scratching mine; seeing how excited the special needs girls got as they dressed up in costumes for Bible story time; and watching the other interns love on the kids with all they have. On Thursday we went to a boys' orphanage, and seeing the conditions they live in each day hurt my heart. Despite the surroundings, God blessed me so much there. I met a boy named Eduardo, and he spent time trying to teach me Spanish words. He was so patient with me as I butchered pronunciations. Next week will be much different – we don't have a church team coming in, so we'll be spending time building relationships and leading Bible studies at the transitional girls' home. Thanks for all of your prayers, and we have an awesome God.

~ Holli