Monday, July 24, 2006

Zdravstvuyte from Russia! Week Three

Zdrastya!

We got back from Orphanage # 60 yesterday and it was by far the "roughest" orphanage thus far. Aside from the rock-hard mattresses, there were about 50 kids there and only one caretaker with little control over the kids. Even though it was rough, I found that my three days at this orphanage have been some of my best since I've been in Russia.

I want to share a particular story about two girls in the orphanage who I spent the majority of my time with, Natasha and Alyona. Both of them are 14 and have lived in the orphanage system for a long time.

They were the orphanage bullies, very hard girls and hard to reach - physically and spiritually. When we first arrived at the orphanage I was drawn to Natasha because she had several long, deep scars on each of her forearms, which I later found out had been self-inflicted.

After the first day of camp with the kids, some members of our group took a walk to the nearest store four miles away, and Natasha and Alyona went with us. During that time, I got to meet them and they opened up a little to me. Both were very sarcastic and tough kids, with each other and us, yet they were still kids. Deep down they were scared and wanted hope and love more than anything else in the world.

After the walk, I spent about an hour with them and some of the other kids and actually gave Natasha a hug (Alyona would let me get close to her) before saying good night. The next day at crafts Natasha wrote me poem which said - paraphrased; it rhymed in Russian and was very well written:

"I can not wish you love, I know love will find you. I can not wish you happiness because what is happiness? I can not wish you success, I know you will be successful. My only wish for you is that you will be a good man."

Of course, I will keep that poem forever. During the next two days we spent together we sang praise songs in Russian and Natasha was actually singing the words and requested that we sing a certain song over again.

We talked for about four hours on Saturday night after dinner, laughing and joking around because underneath the hurt and the pain, they both are just kids, only 14 years old, and in their heart they both want love and hope and a future - things that only a life in Christ can bring.

During our short time together I tried to hug them and hold them as much as I could, and by the end of the three days, they were actually giving me hugs. I wrote them each a card and gave them each a bracelet. As we were leaving, I had to hold back tears as they were waving goodbye. My heart breaks for these two kids, and I hope that you will pray for them.
I know I will be praying for them.

God bless you,
Ben (Venya)