Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hola from Guatemala! Week Three

Hola!!!

Team Guatemala is in full swing as we start week 3. We had a phenomenal ending to our time in Xela ("Shay-la"). We had a huge beach party for the kids on the last evening. It was miraculous reflecting back on the week and seeing the changes that occurred in the children. Many of the changes were so great that it could have only been God working through us in the life of the children. Several interns spent time in the medical clinic giving lice treatment, washing feet, and assisting Dr.Bobby. There is a picture of Denise washing the feet of one of the children. After cleaning the children's feet, we clipped their nails and applied an anti-fungal cream. It was such a privilege, honor, and a humbling experience to do this for the children.

On Saturday morning, we went to Lake Atitlan. It was definitely one of the most beautiful places that I've ever visited. One of the pictures is from the lake. Even though the picture is really pretty, it doesn't give justice to the true beauty of the lake. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at a restaurant overlooking the peaceful water. Afterwards, we spent some time relaxing in hammocks while listening to music. On Saturday night, we had our farewell dinner with High Pointe Community Church. Wow, what an amazing body of believers! The interns were continually in awe watching this church and seeing their passion for the children in Xela. This church has been visiting this orphanage for four years. On Sunday, we went back to beautiful Antigua. Once again, we had a great time hanging out with the girls at the girls' orphanage in Antigua (Manchen). It's so great seeing the children several different times.

It's so hard to believe, but we are at our midpoint of the trip. Each day, God has taught us so many things. Below are some of the things that God has taught a few of the interns:

"How humbling it was to be at my weakest point physically and for God to speak to me. I was so broken and was often reminded that I am nothing and can do nothing without Christ. I've seen many times that none of what we're doing is because of us, but because of God. We have to continually die to ourselves every day, so Christ can be seen and live in us. I've also learned that because of the language barrier and culture, Christ can't be seen in us without God's grace." ~Laura

"I have learned what an incredible gift love is. We all try to figure out what gifts God has given us and how we can use them in our lives, but we often overlook the best gift of all that we have to give- love. And it's such a simple thing to give, yet I often get too absorbed in my own life and forget how important a simple smile or hug can be." ~Shauna

"God has been teaching me His crazy sovereignty in taking care of these little orphans. He totally broke my heart for the babies in Xela. It has just been incredible to allow God to use me to bring smiles and joy to the sad, crying, lonely faces of the babies. BUT, God has been revealing to me that He is still taking care of them, and still has their names written in the palm of His hand." ~Becky

"The time in Guatemala has revealed God's vastness and sovereignty over His entire creation. Entering into the orphanages has been hard to even begin to comprehend the realities that these children face day to day, week to week, even year to year. But He has revealed that He is sovereign over their lives and their future -things that we can't even begin to worry about. It has been amazing to know that we can give these children nothing of our own strength, but only that which God has set ablaze in our hearts to overflow into their lives. We have been at Christ's feet for strength and energy, and that has been a truly amazing experience; in our weakness, He is strong!" ~Noelle

"I have been in utter amazement of how God has used diverse personalities for His Glory!!! His plans are so timely!!! His love is overwhelming and beautiful. I thank my God for teaching me how to submit and encourage those who are becoming leaders. I thank him that He has allowed me to see others through His eyes and not my own. Praise God for the power of prayer!!!"
~Lorraine

"After praying that God would make me incredibly alert to the needs of His children on this trip, I think He's teaching me to serve immediately upon seeing needs instead of waiting to be asked to serve. More importantly, He's teaching me not only to be perceptive of needs in the orphans here and to be praying for them when we can't be with them, but to be serving in this way each day of my life. As God is tearing my pride apart over & over, I'm learning to value my family more than ever, to strive to bathe each day in prayer, and to let Him be the one to heal broken hearts. One of the biggest ways I've learned here is through observing the passion of this incredible team of interns, so thanks for your support of the team!" ~Denise

As I've said before, I am surrounded by an incredible team of interns. I've never been so encouraged and supported as I am in Guatemala. This week, we are going back to the boys' orphanage at San Gabriel. What an exciting reunion for us and the boys as they don't know we're returning. Pray that their hearts will be open and receptive to us and most importantly to God.

Pray that God would use us in mighty ways to impact every child at the orphanage. Pray that all of the children would desire a relationship with Jesus or would desire to deepen their current relationship. Also, please pray for the health of all of the interns. Thanks for checking in and for your prayers.

~For His Kids, Sheena