Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Little Hands, Tiny Feet



The emotions that stir inside of you when you walk into an orphanage are unreal. Today I was humbled and heartbroken for these little ones.

Already these little arms that hug and the big smiles that love, have grabbed my heart. In a situation that should be surrounded by despair and no hope, the kids are so happy. There is no sound more beautiful than the children’s laugh I heard all day today.

We taught the kids memory verses, a bible story, made crafts and played games. It was so awesome to hear their little voices reciting scripture, and to hear them yell “Dios” (GOD) to answer the questions. There were even some kids who stumbled upon a Bible and were glued to reading the Word of God, and so carefully turning each page.

The orphanage we are in has 96 children and too few workers. It is not realistic that the kids get a bath everyday or close to that. On Wednesday, we will bathe each and every precious child and then place new clothes on them. What an experience.

God has blessed me with such an opportunity to be here. And the team of interns here in Guatemala is the greatest. I probably tell them four times a day how much they rock! As I go through probably one of the hardest months for me emotionally, I am so thankful for the people serving beside me that have the same heart.

Please keep us and the kids in your prayers,

Ashley O