Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Gift and a Smile

We have been having an amazing second week here in Lima. For the first couple of weeks we were on our own, and we spent time in two homes for teen moms who have been homeless or sexually abused. It was so wonderful to spend time with them and play with their babies. At the first home, I made friends with a girl named Doylith. I felt a special bond with her and it was difficult to leave. She gave me a teddy bear that belonged to her baby. I felt so humbled to receive a gift from her out of her poverty.

I visited a home for babies this morning. I made friends with a little boy who was about two or three. He was so serious and not expressive, and I prayed that I would be able to get him to smile by the time we had to leave an hour later. It took about 45 minutes, but by the end, he was not only smiling but laughing. I can't express what joy it gave me to see the smile on his face and hear his laughter.

I have loved being here with Katy and Klista. They are amazing to serve with and each one brings something unique and special to the experience. Most of all, we are so blessed to serve these children and show them Jesus' love. Thank you for your prayers!

Ciao!
Anna