Thursday, July 05, 2007

Blessing in Disguise

Below are some pictures of our work in Zacapa.

The little boy in the is Gyro. He is 7. He is one of the children that stole my heart! It was sad to leave him on our last day there!





I am writing you all from a coffee shop in Antigua, Guatemala where the other four interns and I will continue our trip this next week. We have the opportunity to go to language school here in Guatemala this week and have one on one personal, intensive Spanish classes with a teacher for five hours a day. I am excited for the opportunity to improve my Spanish, and I am praying for the possibility of sharing my faith with someone I meet this coming week!

Our last week working with Buckner, we worked with East Main Christian Church from Indiana. Only three people from their church were able to make it, so we worked with a much smaller team this week. With this team, we traveled to Zacapa, Guatemala, where we worked in the government orphanage for boys and girls there. There, the interns and I, had planned three days of activities for the kids there, including Bible study, crafts and recreation. The team helped us with each of these activities. The team wanted to make time to talk with the director of the orphanage, because they were looking to get their church involved in the process of supporting the orphanage in Guatemala.

One of the days, there was already a team there, and apparently the person in charge of scheduling had double booked the orphanage for that day. We were all a little bummed because we could not do activities with the kids that day. We were going to wash their feet and talk about how Jesus was a servant when he washed the disciples’ feet. However, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The East Main team members were able to talk to a long term missionary from there and realize that there is a greater need for support at the San Gabriel boys home in Guatemala, as the needs in Zacapa have started to be met by this man and the teams he has been bringing with him in the past few months.

My time spent in Guatemala working with the orphans and in the government homes is one I will never forget. The love I feel for these kids will always be there, and I know I will always remember each of them. I hope to come back and see each of them again. And this trip only confirms for me, that I want to spend my life doing things like this and working with orphans. Please be praying for each of the kids in these homes in Guatemala! And by our faith that Jesus can change hearts, they could be healed!

Adios!

Amy