Monday, June 18, 2007

¡Hóla, Qué tal! Guatemala










A few interesting things have happened here in Guatemala in the last couple of days. One, our water completely went out at the place we are staying so we used buckets of well water to wash with. It was pretty hilarious. We tried to take a picture, but decided it wasn't good to do that, so we didn't. Then, we were in an earthquake, that’s right, an EARTHQUAKE! We were in Antigua, sitting down to lunch with the team from Park Cities Baptist Church, and the whole building began to shake and blow. It was really weird, and being from Texas, I don't have a lot of experience with earthquakes. We kind of freaked out a little bit, and asked our translators what it was, we really had no idea what was going on. One of them said the volcano might be active, and then another one said it was probably some seismic activity. Well it turns out, it was an earthquake. So in the same day, I bathed with well water and was in an earthquake! Kind of cool, huh?
Last week we worked with Park Cities Baptist Church, where we went into San Gabriel three days and worked with the boys; we also went to Manchen, the government all girls home for two days. There we met some girls, who were so sweet and loving. It really strikes me how when we ask what we can pray for the kids about, they never pray for themselves; they always want to pray for their families and other girls, but never for themselves. I have really learned a lot about how much I pray for myself instead of others from these girls. I really loved going to the all girls home. One girl taught me how to make a really cool bracelet while I was there, out of the strings the PCBC team brought for the kids to use during craft time. This girl had a really hard exterior, she looked kind of rough and she was very standoffish at first. But when I asked her to teach me how to make what she was making, she opened up to me, and really attempted to talk to me, even though we couldn't understand everything the other was saying. When it was time to leave, she asked for something to remember me by, and I told her that I was coming back again and I would bring her something the next time I came. She was really happy to hear I was coming back and I'll be excited to see her again!

The past few days, the interns and I have not had a team with us, so we had a free day for most of yesterday, where we went to Antigua and had a picnic at this gorgeous park. Then we went shopping for a bit and went to "La Union." This is the name of the language school where we will stay for an extra week to have intensive Spanish lessons the week after our internship is over. We will be staying in Antigua, Guatemala another week. We are SO excited! Above is a picture of our intern team with Berta-Maria (a Buckner in-country staff) at the park.

We also went to the Buckner Baby Home on Friday, with just us, so we were able to really play with the kids, and not overwhelm them with 30 people. There are only nine kids living in the home. We were able to unpack our Humanitarian Aid bags, and I was able to give out most of my supplies to these kids, the playdough, the kitchen toys, the hotwheels cars, they loved them! Thank you all so much for helping me fill my bag with wonderful presents that these kids LOVED so much! Above are some pictures of the kids so that you can see what all we gave them, and how much they loved them!
We made them a cake, and yeah, it kind of didn't work that well, it sort of just fell in on itself in the middle, which pushed the sides out. I was the one holding the cake, so it was a problem. But it was fun when we got there with the cake, the kids didn't care; they were just excited to see the cake. They jumped up and down and were so sweet. Above are some pictures from the Buckner Baby Home, and the messed-up cake. You will also find a picture of our team at the picnic, some pictures of the boys from San Gabriel and the girls from Manchen.

Yesterday we welcomed a team from First Baptist Church Tallahassee. They are a group with only a few youth, and mostly older retired couples and even their pastor is here. We are so excited to work with them and to share the gospel and the love of Christ with the children here in Guatemala. This morning FBCT had their own church service at the Quinat Real hotel, and we participated. They shared their heart for Guatemala's children with us and we are so excited to see the work God is going to do through them this week; they are excited too! We are going to be at San Gabriel all week, and we are all excited! As much as I loved going to Manchen, my heart really lies with the boys at San Gabriel. I love them. Be praying for the boys at San Gabriel that they would be open to our message and God's love, and that they would accept Jesus as their savior! I'm excited!

¡Hasta Luego!

Amy