Monday, June 25, 2007

From hellos to goodbyes in Guatemala

This week, the interns and I worked with a team from Tallahassee First Baptist Church. This team was an amazing team, and they were really eager to share the gospel with all of the children that I have come to love so much. We worked in San Gabriel every afternoon from Sunday though Friday. With the team, we also worked in a community center for two mornings, the Buckner Baby Home, the Boys and Mothers Transitional Homes for two mornings and on Friday morning we worked at Fundaninas, a privately funded orphanage. At Fundaninas six girls decided to give their lives to Jesus. They said they didn't want to just read about Jesus and learn about him anymore, they wanted to have him in their lives! How EXCITING is that? We were all so thrilled!

The FBCT team and the interns and I all helped to do a youth camp at San Gabriel this week. The pastor of the church helped lead the Bible study portion of the camp. They talked about how God handles fear and if you have Jesus, you don't have to fear. There was also a portion for memorization of a memory verse which was lead by Clint, one of the guys on the team. The boys really participated well during the memory verse and I hope they continue to memorize scriptures. It was a really great week with this team. They loved these boys so much!

This week we also climbed up Pacaya Volcano, and were able to get about five to six feet away from the flowing lava. A few members of the team from Tallahassee joined us instead of going to Antigua with the rest of the team to go shopping. It was a hard hike up the mountain, but it was worth it. Today was a hard day. The interns and I welcomed a new team from East Main Christian Church in Indiana, and we went to San Gabriel this afternoon. This was our last day at San Gabriel. As I was leaving and giving all the boys hugs and telling them they were my friend I would miss them, Angel, an older boy with special needs living at the home, came and told me in English, "Thank you for being my friend." He gave me a hug, and in Spanish told me he would never forget me, and another boy, Juan Carlos, started to tear up a little bit.

I cannot describe how much I love these boys and I cannot believe today was our last day with them. I desperately want salvation for all of them so they can know the love of Christ in their lives. Today the interns and I were all sad to leave the boys, and when we went home, we started praying for the kids. We asked God to use the seeds the teams and we planted during our time with them and to bring them salvation. I am going to miss these boys so much! Pray for them. Pray that they would accept Christ into their lives!This week we are going to Zacapa, which is about four hours away from Guatemala City. We are going with the East Main team to do ministry there for three days, and then we will return and go to Manchen for a day. Be praying for our teams for safety as we travel and for our ministry to the orphans that live in Zacapa. Pray that their hearts would be open to our message and that they would accept Christ as their savior. God is so good to provide us a way to his son; I am so thankful for Him in my life, and I pray that these orphans would know the love of their heavenly father as well! I will update with pictures soon!

For now, hasta luego!

Amy